Sunday, November 30, 2008

LBP; CODWAW; MKVSDC; ME; SM [crazy catching up and first impressions]

Create your own set of fun with these five totally different (from each other) games!


If you all did not catch all of the acronyms in the title, let me break it down for you. I have recently purchased (within the past month) five new video games. Little Big Planet; Call of Duty: World at War; Mirrors Edge; Spiderman: Web of Shadows and Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe.

All of them are wonderful games, I would highly recommend any of them. Yes, some of them have their flaws, and others seem almost flawless, but all in all, I am glad I spent the gobs and gobs of money it took to buy all these games (if you can do math, you know how much I've spent). I haven't been writing much because (A) I've been working and doing other things and (B) because I've been playing all of these awesome games.

But briefly I want to let you know my impressions on every one so far. Call it a mini-tiny-teeny review.

Little Big Planet:

This game is simply just a big ball of fun. I haven't even started creating my levels or gotten into all the crazy aspects of dressing my sack person, but still, I had fun with it for the hour or so that I played it. It's one of those games that's extremely unique, and might require a bit of understanding as to just what the developers were really trying to accomplish in making this video game. So far it seems as if it's going to be a hit. I mean, what other game gets people excited because they allow you to dress up as Street Fighter characters?

Call of Duty World at War:

Once I heard that this game was basically going to be all the things of COD4 and more, I didn't even thing twice about buying it. I didn't read any reviews, I didn't rent it, I just bought it. Suffice to say it has not let me down in the least. Online is just as fun as COD4 and the first person story mode (so far) is better than that of COD4. It's as if this is just an add-on to an already great game. An add-on that I payed $60 for, but an add on no less. And it has not left me disappointed; in fact, if this was the only game I bought in the last month I would be just fine.

Mirrors Edge:

You've seen my preview for the game, and I can safely tell you that the actual game is living up to the preview I gave it. The story-line doesnt necessarily knock me out of my chair so far, but the whole aura of the game is simply amazing and unique. While I was playing it today I was thinking that this could definitely be a good movie. Not because of the first person aspect, but because I have a good feeling about the main character and her story as the game progresses. My mind may change down the road, but I still think a hot asian girl jumping from buildings trying to escape people who are constantly shooting at her would be a pretty good way to be entertained for 1.45 hours or so. Call me crazy.

Spiderman: Web of Shadows

Ok, the voice acting...actually check that PETER PARKERS' voice acting sucks. I don't know who is the voice behind it, but it sucks. Every other Spiderman game I have played has had the voice of Spiderman/Peter Parker believable. In this particular instance I almost want to just plug audio receptors to my brain and look at subtitles while I imagine my own voice. But other than that the game plays fine. The fighting is fun, the fact that you can have Hero friends and Villain friends is a plus, and it seems as if the story line, since it comes from a comic book, is going to be entertaining.

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe:

If you have been keeping up with this blog for about five or six months then you know that when I first heard about this game I thought it was a joke. It just didn't seem to go together. The whole concept of classic super heroes fighthing against the most gruesome set of video game characters (blood spilling wise) to hit consoles in the past decade and a half just didn't seem appropriate. The more and more I learned about the game I started to come around. Now after owning it today (which it is also the first MK I've ever owned), I have to say that it is pretty fun. The only gripe I have about it so far is that Wonder Woman just doesn't look like Wonder Woman *sigh*.

I hope that was helpful to you all a little bit. All of these games are fun and fantastic in their own way and it makes me excited to be a player of video games. I bought everything for the PS3 except Spiderman, which I probably should have just went a nice 5 for 5 in that department, oh well, I have to give my 360 some kind of love right?

-Jeremy aka Adridius

1 comment:

Sara W. said...

Thanks for your candid insight.
i was disappointed that peter's voice sucked!! they could have put a little
bit more effort; but it was ok.