Friday, January 4, 2008

NFL Tour impressions


I downloaded the demo of NFL Tour for PS3 and I must say, I'm not impressed. First of all, NFL Tour seemingly pulled away from it's predecessor by doing away with Gamebreakers. This seems to be a good thing, but gamebreakers really had a way of speeding game-play up. There doesnt appear to be any sort of turbo in this game, just a speed burst such as that of Madden. Ok, before I go on a bashing rant let me talk about the aspects of the game that I do like. I do like how there is a new counter-system implemented in the game so that it doesn't seem like luck when you break a tackle, or can't break a tackle. I can see what the developers were going for, but as far as being able to counter a broken tackle and lay in for a big hit, it all happens much too slowly to feel as if you are playing football. This is supposed to be the arcady version of madden and I feel that it moves so much slower.
Now for the bashing. NFL Tour is way too slow to be an arcade football game. The jukes look like jukes my mom could make on a stationary couch. The speed of the game just isn't there at all. When it comes to arcade type big hits, it fails again. I don't know if this is because the NFL wanted to take away the big hits with no pads aspect of what made the first NFL Street popular, or if the developers just don't seem to get it.
There is a new way to pass the ball which seems unnecessary. Instead of pressing the button that corresponds with the icon over the players head, you can press a button to switch your target receivers and then press another button to throw to them. For example, when you drop back, one receiver will have a visible X over their head (on the PS3 version) and one will have a faded O over their head. To throw to the O you have to press O then X because now that receiver is your primary receiver.
I like the idea of what tour is trying to do with the motion controls, but I don't think they do it well. If you want your running back to break a tackle or a defensive lineman to throw an offensive lineman out of the way, you can move your controller in a direction to execute that action. It seems though that it is tough to do as I found myself just waving the controller around back and forth instead of trying to execute a specific movement. In this instance I would rather have had a button to push, especially with the defensive lineman.
Overall, I don't understand why the game is as slow as it is. The first Street version of the series was much more fast paced, everything from running to throwing, now it just seems as if the game-play isn't up to par with what it used to be, or what it COULD be.

-Jeremy

No comments: