Saturday, August 30, 2008

If ever there was a case to make against games...[horribleness]


This should never come before a baby....


Rene Edward Barrios, 26, who lives in Tucson Arizon has been given 10-21 years in prison for killing an 18 day old baby. The baby's name was Jaden Ecinas. While Rene was playing a video game (console and game not discolsed) Jaden started to cry. Bothered by the infants cries Rene paused his game, walked over to the infant and shook him and then struck him. He would finish his game in the next 10 minutes in which time the infant Jaden would stop breathing. Jaden was pronounced dead at the hospital. Jaden was in Rene's care because Rene's girlfriend left him in charge of her son.

Rene ended up getting manslaughter. He should have gotten murder. I hope he gets the maximum 21 years in prison. For all of you that were wondering where I am working now I will tell you. I am working at a daycare with three and four year olds. They are all sweet and kind and innocent in their own ways. No matter how much they scream and cry, or hit each other, or straight up disrespect their teacher's (me and another lady), I do not condone striking them. Spankings are another issue all-together, but that form of punishment is not allowed in daycare so frankly it's moot to discuss.

Beating a child however (which I believe is leaps and bounds different than spanking) is inexcusable. It shouldn't be tolerated in any form or fashion. When I sit back and think of actions or ideas that get me angry, child abuse (in any for, sexual or beating, or exploitation) is probably right there at the top of my list. I think about what I would do to the son of a female dog who decides they like to beat on their (or others') kids.

The fact that this "man" (because no real man would beat a child) beat a child becasue the child was crying while he was playing a video game is beyond me. I understand being annoyed when you are trying to do something, but when it comes to responsibility versus gaming, responsibility always wins. I am a huge advocate for games. I believe they are good for you, that they can help you to be smarter, more aware, and that they are an art form. But do not confuse my zeal for gaming to mean that it comes before all other responsibilites. You don't go out and buy a new game if you can't pay for your car. You don't go buy a $600 dollar system when you have a mortgage that comes first. And you do NOT put video games before human life (I mean, duh).

Gaming is an activity, just like reading, poetry, movies, TV, jumping rope, exercising, and any other action that you don't necessarily need to do to survive. This story would be just as bad if it was a TV program instead of a video game, or if Rene was reading the latest piece of fiction and put down his book for a second. You don't put your own activities before your necessary responsibilities. I hope this guy rots in jail if and when he does recieve probation that he has a clause that tells him he can't play video games.

I think to further punish him they should force him to watch video game commercials for 18 hours a day just so he knows what he's missing out on because he decided to be a dumb donkey and beat a baby simply because the baby interrupted his game. Loser...or as a gaming enthusiast would say; EPIC FAIL!!! What a jerk.

-Jerem aka Adridius

No comments: