Thursday, June 19, 2008

EA is getting sued [news]


In the wake of the exclusive rights to certain sports teams and their players, EA Sports is now getting sued, excuse me, they are receiving a class-action lawsuit in both California and Washington D.C. for anticompetitive conduct in respect to Madden 2006. The claim is that EA significantly raised the price of the game after receiving the exclusive NFL agreement. And since EA got the exclusive agreement, other game companies weren't able to get the agreement. I know, it sounds a bit confusing but that's what it says over at Davis LLP.

When I first saw this story I was happy. But then as I started to read it and figure out what exactly EA was getting sued for, I don't think the plaintiffs have a case here. I understand that what EA is doing is dirty and money hoarding. Not to mention that it also frees EA from having to be extremely innovative because, well, they have no competition; but I just don't see what these plaintiffs have here as far as a case. This is a business. And as much as I hate to say that because I feel that EA is ruining the quality of games for its own interests, I still understand that this is a business. I don't know what will end up happening, I just hope that whatever happens that EA doesn't take over EVERYone or else gaming is going to all around suck if there is no competition.

-Jeremy aka Adridius

No comments: