Friday, February 29, 2008

Too many guns...what about that plumber dude and fast blue guy?

I chose the PS3 picture version cause I like Sony better. HA!


As I was reading Game Politics (which I updated that that is where I received my quote on my "Bigotry loves company" post) I came across a professor who doesn't particularly like the creative development in the gaming industry.

Prof. Michael Hoechsmann of McGill University told the Montreal Gazette that,

"The game industry is not doing us any favors by continually choosing subject matter and adventures that involve guns, violence and warfare."

What started this whole answer was a question about the new game Army of Two that a reporter had asked Hoechsmann about. The game revolves around players taking the role of mercenaries.

Hoechsmann went on to add,

"There is a tremendous lack of imagination on the part of the games industry. I think it’s barbaric. I don’t understand why there can’t be a greater diversity of titles."

Now, before I go into what is innacurrate about the Professors comments, I must show him a little love by what he said on his third quote.

"It would be far too simplistic to suggest that playing a game of this nature would cause someone to want to be a mercenary. At worst, what long-term exposure or even a very sustained exposure to games like this can do is that it can have some effects on the cultivation of attitudes and world views."

Ok Professor, I can see what you are saying. But I must admit, you are wrong when it comes to the creativity of games. Check out Lost Odyssey or any of the Final Fantasy series and tell me those arent creative from a story and written perspective. And some of the biggest games in the world have never touched guns, i.e. Sonic, Mario, heck Zelda uses a sword. You have sports games, puzzle games, strategic games, games that no one talks about, and yet because some of the more popular titles happen to be your BioShocks and Call of Duty's, doesnt mean that those kinds of games make up the majority of the titles.

Furthermore, if that is truly how you feel about the gaming industry, I would be interested to know what you think of movies, TV, and books. I think our society in general has an interest in violence and it comes in many forms, not just in the most popular video game title. Am I saying this is a bad thing, no, because people need to know the difference between fiction and reality, but don't single out video games as the only media to have violence in it's huge library of varied games.

Furthermore, you say the games industry doesnt do us any favors by making warfare games. Professor, with all do respect, I can't turn on a news show without seeing someone who has been shot and killed or hearing about how another one of our brave soldiers has died or been injured in the war. Warfare, especially now, is accessible and real, video games are fake. And like with any medium, of course if there is a story it is going to sway you toward an opinion, there is nothing wrong with that even if it's not the intent of the product to do so. ANY medium tries to sway the consumer into a certain way of thinking or acting, so again, don't single out video games.

But lastly Professor, although I disagree with your former comments, I have to give you credit for saying that this game wouldn't make someone want to be a mercenary. You caught me off guard with that statement. So with that I show you respect and give you kudos.

To all my readers, thanks for the comments and keep enjoying the content.

Jeremy aka Adridius

No comments: