Friday, March 14, 2008

EA wants to make GTA its own


We will buy out who we can't defeat!


Ok, ok, ok, please wake me up. Please. Because I must be in a nightmare right now. A couple weeks ago we heard that Take-Two told EA to shove it because we all know EA just wants to cash in on the imminent success of GTA IV. I had a problem with that. I started thinking, "Self, even if EA bought Take-Two at least Rockstar would be making GTA, I could live with EA getting the glory (and the money) as long as GTA was still being made by Rockstar." But now I'm hearing reports that EA may want to totally eliminate Rockstar by buying out Take-Two and then making their own GTA!!!! Can someone honestly tell me that EA will make a BETTER or AS GOOD GTA as Rockstar has time after time after time? The answer is no.

I understand EA is one of the biggest cash cows in the video game industry, but that doesnt give them a right to stomp all over the competition by buying them out. You know what this tells me about EA? They are terrified of other game companies (see 2K football series) because they know it's only a matter of time before people wake up and realize that just because you see the letters E and A on a lot of games, doesn't mean that those games are good. And they also realize that people will start to understand that EA doesn't make most of the games, they just publish them. Case in point, Rock Band. Harmonix should get ALL of the credit, but to an ill informed public, some may think EA made it, and they didn't.

I really hope that Take-Two doesn't budge. Because if they do, we might see the collapse of a development company in it's prime making one of the greatest games of this generation in GTA IV. And if EA does manage to shut it down completely, watch out because it probably won't be the last you hear of EA trying to take over a development company that threatens them. Geez, this sucks.

No comments: