Monday, March 31, 2008

Everyone is a critic

Everyone doesn't say it, but sometimes they show it by how they act. (See above)



I don't know if you know, but I also write for an overseas website in the UK. Well, last night I got a huge wake-up call to what a true fanboy, or fan of a particular game, really is. If you can, recall my blog post on the top brawlers from 35-1. I hope you enjoyed it. I learned a sad truth last night.

People are going to be people. Let me explain. Just like Jim Sterling over at Destructoid talked about people leaving comments on his colleagues' review of Patapon and how whiny they were when it was given a 3 out of a 10; I felt for the first time what it was like for you to put your heart into your passion and people just throw needles into it over and over again.

The article, if you recall, never said this is the 'be all, end all' post. I never stated that people couldn't disagree with me, and I never said I was better than anyone else and that I had all the answers. It was simply my opinion based on some criteria that I decided to lay out. All of a sudden I'm getting crucified for having my own opinion.

Not to get into an argument with just one person, because everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as gamers and game fans, are we really this shallow at times? Honestly, I'm not trying to dog any particular person who loves PS3 over 360, or 360 over Wii or Wii over PS3, we all have our own ways of viewing consoles and the games that come out for them. The problem I have is why can't we have a constructive discussion? Why is it that when a video game journalist, blogger, or writer, writes his opinions for how a preview was, a review of a game, or an opinion on a game or the gaming industry must he automatically cause people to point out how 'wrong' he is?

Look, I'm not saying we can't have an opinion. Hear me on this. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you want to give your opinion, give it in a mature manner, don't slay the person for writing it, because just like you have an opinion, so do they. And why are you reading it if you aren't a little bit interested in what they have to say? If you don't like it, don't read it.

As a community of gamers we have to stick up for one another. We can't be bringing each other down with (some of) our over the top fanboy personality. I'm not saying we shouldn't be vigilant about what we like and dislike, it's what makes the community of gamers great. I'm just saying that we need to be respectful of one another and not downplay anything that doesn't agree with our own thinking. This doesn't just apply to video games, but to everything that can have two sides in life.

All I'm asking is that if you disagree with me, tell me so, but be respectful. If I messed up, tell me where I messed up. I would do the same for you. If I felt like you were off on a certain point, I'd tell you, but I wouldn't add that you are lower than low because you don't agree with me. Let's all get along, even in our disagreements. Feel free to leave comments.

-Jeremy aka Adridius

A thank you to yourbeardisgood.blogspot.com for the picture.

No comments: