Sunday, March 2, 2008

Grand Theft Childhood


Hey people,  first off, I do not want to make it seem as if this is a political video game blog, it's not, it's a Video Game Blog, anything and everything that is video game news can be relevant, and I'm hope I'm not wearing you out with my continuous dislike of people who ignorantly make claims about what video games negative impacts are on our youth.  Call it a forum I never had and I'm happy that people are taking into account  my opinion, even if you don't agree, that's fine.   But I just had to write about this.  I am ecstatic to report that someone, with peer reviewed scholarly credibility wrote a book with no agenda toward figuring out what violent video games impact is on our children (I dont have kids, but you understand what I mean when I say "our").  
The book is called Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games.  The reason I am happy about this is because I have done research as to prove why video games actually help children more than parents think, and how video games do not influence violent behavior as much as people think.  The problem is, most of the research has been done by "unscholarly" video game magazines or taken from the internet (and who believes anything written on the internet, I'm being sarcastic).  So to actually have a book, a tangible object to show people and say, "Look, it's a book!  By a Dr.!" That automatically puts my argument into a different bracket of acceptability.  
So no, I'm not going to stand here on a soap box and slam Jack Thompson and his *ahem* misguided opinions.  But I just wanted to share my happiness with you and see if you would be interested in checking this out.  
The book is coming out in April and the co-author's name is Dr. (yes a Dr.! woo hoo!) Cheryl K. Olsen.  The other author is Lawrence Kutner.  So check it out, I know I will be.

-Jeremy aka Adridius

No comments: