Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Iron Man plays GTA IV rather than beat up bad guys!?

IRON MAN:I am IRON MAN!...I...wait..GTA IV...that's one BAD game, I'll be playing that...oh you say I can't cause I have to beat some bad guys up that weekend...oh..the choices

Predictors are everywhere. The latest that I'm hearing about (in the middle of my never-ending Brawl life) is that Iron Man, the movie, might suffer from GTA IV, the game, being released so close together. This is an intriguing topic.

If books hated radio because radio took away readers, and radio hated TV because TV took away listeners, and TV hated movies because movies took away sitting in front of the tube, does that mean that movies hate video games because they can get even more action, adventure, comedy, and drama in a video game rather than paying a god awful price of $9 (in some cities) to go see a movie? I think this prediction has merit.

Take for instance how good Halo 3 did when it first came out. It made $300 million in the first week. And remember, Halo was exclusively on the Xbox 360. Now imagine a game that, in some ways, looks as if it could be bigger than Halo 3 (please Halo fans don't take offense) in terms of anticipation. Now, put that game on two major consoles and what do you have?

"A GTA IV 25 percent attach rate to a combined Xbox 360 and PS3 installed base at its April 29 release would imply 5.8 million units sold or roughly $360 million in retail sales the first week of the game’s release."

That is straight from Mike Hickey who is an analyst that anticipates the Iron Man box office to suffer because of GTA IV.

Let's not kid ourselves here, GTA IV is one of THE most anticipated games of the next-gen era if not one of THE most anticipated games of all time. I'm not going to say Jesus is going to come back because of it, but this game has to be in the top 10 list of wide anticipation in gaming, ever. I could very well see why people would rather start on what could be one of the greatest gaming experiences all around of all time, than to go see another super hero movie.

Me, I will be doing both as I am an Iron Man fan and I think Robert Downey Jr. will be a good fit for the part. But, if Brawl is any indication, I don't even want to think how many hours, no, make that, DAYS I will be playing this game.

No comments: