Tuesday, April 8, 2008

No freeloading for Mario Kart Wii

Try sneaking them into the country on a plane rather than a Kart which has the ability to leave a trail of banana peels.

I have never been big on importing games for my U.S. consoles, or buying a CD, DVD, or cartridge so that I could play foreign games. I definitely was missing out. Then I heard about FreeLoader for the Wii that allows you to play games that were not made for your region. I was pretty excited for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I could play Japanese titles earlier than I ever thought possible. Well, I bought FreeLoader and haven't been able to test it out yet. Sadly, I just found out that Mario Kart, from Japan, will not be able to play on my Wii even though I have FreeLoader.

Luckily, I don't care about that. I can wait until Mario Kart comes out in the U.S. That's not a big deal. The big deal is this. Why is Nintendo doing this? I recently found out that the PS3 will play any game no matter what the region. I like that. I think if you buy a system it should be universal. If you are a gamer, and you like games, you should have the option of buying a game in the Japanese or European market if you live in the U.S. Even if you can't read Japanese, sometimes wanting a game so bad merits you getting a game where you have no clue what the characters are saying, (thank the Lord for subtitles though).

I realize this is probably a savvy business move by Nintendo, but come on let us play our games no matter what language or country code they are in. This just goes to confirm my love for Sony. Nintendo, I love you too, but why are you undercutting the consumer when FreeLoader is not advocating piracy. It's only advocating being able to play titles you currently don't have in your own country. What is so wrong about that?

Please feel free, whether you are from Nintendo or not, to leave comments telling me what you think.

Adridius

No comments: